TCU Sustainability Program
 
 

 

recycling & waste reduction
 

 

 

TCU Clothing Swap

The first TCU Clothing Swap was hosted by the Center for Community Involvement and Service Learning in collaboration with TCU Crew and Dr. Keith Whitworth's Sociology and Sustainability Classes on the first floor of the BLUU at TCU - Wednesday November 16th, 2011.

 

 

recycle packacges

 

Senior, Dan Bodin, (Spring, TX), creatively reused newspapers for gift wrapping during the holidays. Reduce, reuse, and recycle!

 

 

green machine

 

Green Machine

The university recently rolled out 4 Dream Machines- the PepsiCo branded Greenopolis Recycling Kiosks - on their campus to collect aluminum cans and PET bottles. The Dream Machine recycling initiative, a collaboration between PepsiCo, Waste Management, Keep America Beautiful and Greenopolis – is introducing thousands of recycling kiosks and bins at high-traffic, public locations around the country to help increase the U.S. beverage container recycling rate by giving Americans convenient access to recycling receptacles. The campus is home during the school year to around 10,000 students, so you can imagine the number of soft drinks consumed and the need to recycle.

http://greenopolis.com/goblog/joe-laur/tcu-fulfills-dream-machine-0

 

Office Supply Swap

The Staff Assembly saw a need for the unused office supplies to be shared around campus so they created the Office Supply Swap. The first Office Supply Swap hosted by Staff Assembly was in the fall of 2009. The main products were binders, paper products, desktop stackers, lamps, and file cabinets. This year (2011) the Staff Assembly hosted the second Office Supply Swap and doubled their inventory of items. TCU staff was allowed to look through and shop for items before the leftovers were donated to The Warm Place, local schools, and a garage sale benefitting the American Cancer Society and Relay for Life.

 

Paper Recycling

TCU recycles approximately 75 percent of the paper waste generated in academic and administrative facilities. Recycled materials are placed in specially identified containers for transport to a local recycling facility. The remaining 25 percent of paper waste comes from residential areas where recycling has not been effective due to contamination of paper products. Specially marked containers are used at athletic events to collect recyclable cans and plastic bottles. The practice reduces clean-up time after events and keeps material out of the landfill.

 

RecycleMania

TCU participates in RecycleMania, which is a friendly competition and benchmarking tool for college and university recycling programs to promote waste reduction activities to their campus communities. Over a 10-week period, schools report recycling and trash data which are then ranked according to who collects the largest amount of recyclables per capita, the largest amount of total recyclables, the least amount of trash per capita, or have the highest recycling rate. With each week’s reports and rankings, participating schools watch how their results fluctuate against other schools and use this to rally their campus communities to reduce and recycle more.

RecycleManiacs.org

 

Going Paperless

A number of offices and processes at TCU are now paperless, including financial services, financial aid, human resources, the registration process and room sign-ups in residential services. Instead of making copies, professors post class assignments and other handouts online.

 

Reusing Refuse

TCU runs most yard material (trimmings, tree limbs, etc.) through a chipper for reuse in plant beds. Pavestone and parking bumpers are recovered, cleaned and reused. Construction debris and excess materials are collected and recycled.

 

Recycling Old Buildings

When TCU demolished its old Student Center, a good portion of the useable building materials and finishes were salvaged for use by local charities instead of heading to the landfill — churches and a local homeless shelter snagged the ballroom’s wooden floors and antique chandeliers among other items. The remaining 92 percent of materials were recycled during demolition.

"The Last Days of the Student Center", TCU Magazine article

 

Texas Commission of Environmental Equality

TCEQ provides a list of regulations, resources, and guidance on recycling your electronic equipment.

www.tceq.state.tx.us/goto/e-recycling

 

TCEQ list of where you can recycle you computers and electronics free of charge.

http://www.tceq.state.tx.us/p2/P2Recycle/electronics/manufacturer-list.html

 

For additional assistance, electronics recyclers can contact Small Business and Local Government Assistance staff:

 

Visit www.TexasEnviroHelp.org
Call 1-800-447-2827.